Cause of recent server lag

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

Some of you know that last night I accidentally used a command that slaughtered everyone's animals, if they were loaded. It only affected people that were on at the time and around their animals.

The lag instantly went away when this happened. I replaced the animals that were lost, although not to the same numbers that some people had.

I have noticed that all day today, once I brought the server back up, that there has been very little lag at all compared to the last few weeks.

The cause of the lag was definitely entities, this is what was showing in the reports I was running. I had assumed that something changed in the code and the ticks for entities was somehow being run differently and causing the lag.

I now believe that the most likely cause has been people overbreeding, just as I thought when I attempted to implement the passive mob caps.

I do not want to try and put the cap back in place since it was pretty disastrous the last time. What I would like, however, is for everyone to kind of self-police themselves when it comes to passive mob spawning.

If you want to have a massive amount of entities, that's fine, just space them out so that they are not all loaded at the same time. Having a large amount of entities, roughly 400-500+, loaded in the same area will instantly drop the server's performance and cause lag for everyone. That is why I capped hostile mob spawners, so people couldn't AFK at them all night and ruin the game for everyone else.

If everyone could be aware of their local entity counts and make sure they keep them spaced out enough so that the count stays below roughly 400 at any one point, that will help make sure the lag issues remain minimal.

If it continues to be a problem, entities, I will have to attempt to implement a cap that works correctly and I really don't want to deal with mysterious losses again :/
  2. Chevrine

Chevrine Active Member

omg i'm glad i haven't been playing @_@ i'd cry if my horses all got slaughtered--but that's no surprise to anyone, i'm sure xD

PEOPLE YOU BETTER LISTEN TO THE MAN

we don't want that yucky mob cap back pls ;;
    F1nnyF6 likes this.
  3. idontknow0000

idontknow0000 Well-Known Member

If my Xp Farm [Cow Farm] has more than 150 cows, I decided to get some meat.
  4. Terry Hyland

Terry Hyland New Member

Ididn't have anywhere near 400 and I wasn't breeding them. They were there for whenI needed the supplies from them. So now I have to go out and get more?
  5. Thyestefles

If you were online last night and affected, I'll take care of that. I didn't get rid of the animals on purpose :/

I won't be able to get around to it until tomorrow afternoon. If you are on later tomorrow, I can just talk to you about it then. Or you might be able to just send in modreqs at the holding areas telling me what was there and I'll get to it when I can.
  6. Terry Hyland

Terry Hyland New Member

I'll have to dye the sheep over? I don't really remember how many, but over 20 and less than 50. I'll do the modreq from the pens. My cooker for chickens I'll just reload. Thanks
  7. Arrowmarksman

Arrowmarksman Member

Would I be correct in assuming this would have affected villagers as well? The villagers from our town shop and iron golem farm have disappeared.
  8. Terry Hyland

Terry Hyland New Member

I just noticed the villagers and iron golem are gone also. I put a modreq in forthm also. Thanks again.
  9. rwsender

rwsender Well-Known Member

i made a thread for this and didnt read this first, but it explains how it works D:
  10. Xatni

Xatni Member

Oh, geez… For once, I'm glad things have kept me too busy to get on much… If we lost all our cats and dogs and horses (plus all my purple sheep!) I'd be devastated...

That said, I really hope Soli wasn't AFKing at our iron farm or gold farm, since we kinda need those villagers/golems/pigmen...

I definitely never planned to get anywhere near 400, but at least now we know where the rough limit is!
  11. rocky_jungle

rocky_jungle Active Member

I had extreme lag after the authentication maintenance today, much more than normal...
    Forced to play single player
  12. rwsender

yeah but do you not lag alot? thats clientside, nothing too do with the server, this lag is block lag and chests ect, not fps lag as such
  13. rocky_jungle

rocky_jungle Active Member

Well chat takes 10 mins to load...

That's much slower than usual
  14. Horses,dogs and cats didn't disappear. Villagers,sheep,pigs,cows and chickens were what disappeared.
  15. starships2102

starships2102 Member

So what do you think a safe amount of mobs to have in a pen are?
  16. rwsender

400 altogether, he wants us to be responsible
  17. PrincessLala95

PrincessLala95 Games Master

Why on EARTH does somebody NEED 400+ mobs??? Like really?? I never have maybe more than 10 cows, pigs, and chickens, and one sheep dyed each colour including white....and if I do notice that I have more than 10-ish cows, pigs, or chickens, I will brutally slaughter all but two of them and stock up my food/supplies chests...
    Brodudee likes this.
  18. rwsender

we have quite a few cows and stuff at amicus but i know theirs under 400, and considering how many of us live there, the villagers sits at about 80, with either 64 or the rest loaded at a time, they cant be both loaded, ive seen some iron farms will hundreds of villagers, and i dont really understand why..
  19. Thyestefles

I used to have something around 100+ of most of the mobs. It isn't really a problem as long as they aren't all close enough to where you have them all loaded at the same time. The server can handle quite a bit but, for some reason having that many mobs in one area causes massive lag.

Basically, just hit F3 and look at your entity count. If it starts getting close to around 400 or so, consider moving some of them.
  20. Terry Hyland

Terry Hyland New Member

I got the golem and villagers back. Did you get to modreq for the cows, pigs and sheep.