Donations and the Store

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

Due to Mojang pointing out a section within their EULA and posting new rules clarifying it, the server shop is currently disabled. This includes everything from items to ranks.

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/

Apparently a lot of servers, us included, have been violating Mojang's EULA and will most likely have to come into compliance. The main gist of it is that there can be no ranks based on donations/purchases. Players cannot be separated into different groups based on paying/non-paying.

The only real option I see atm, I haven't had much time to think about this yet, is to put in a white-list and require a small monthly fee. A one-time fee wouldn't really bring in donations once everyone paid and, having a low fee that is monthly would probably be easier for everyone. I have no real plans atm, just brainstorming and trying to think of ways to continue supporting the server.

We aren't going to close down anytime soon, I just have to rethink a long-term plan to keep us going while allowing for myself to be motivated towards putting hours upon hours of coding work into fixing issues and/or creating new content. I just got rid of one headache in coding, put there by Mojang, and now they give me another one o_O

Oh well, we'll be discussing our options among the staff and will figure something out. Either way, keep in mind that it is Mojang that has made these rules.

Some large servers claim they won't change anything. If they are charging for items that give any sort of boost in-game, they will eventually have to change. It appears that Mojang's lawyers will be going after them eventually. We would probably be safe but, why take that chance?
  2. Solidus

Solidus Rawr.

Well, this certainly puts an interesting spin on things.
  3. GRickards

GRickards Member

I do NOT envy you, Thy... Lol. We got your back though.
    Ski_n_Longboard likes this.
  4. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

Interesting is one way to look at it :p

I'm wondering if I am even allowed to do a white-list that has the first month free or not. I know I sure as hell wouldn't pay to get access to a MC server without having any idea what it's actually like to play on it. I also don't want to keep out new players nor keep players, that can't donate, from playing. The worst part about it is, I have to take away all the perks like waypoints, protect, no fall damage, etc... or make them available to everyone, which would kind of ruin survival I think.

Lot of thinking to do on this topic. It will probably be a little bit before any real changes are made though. Plenty of time to try and figure stuff out and see what kinds of things I need to recode.
    Ski_n_Longboard likes this.
  5. Chadesh

Chadesh Active Member

heh I've always wondered when they would enforce those. Hmm kinda interesting not to long after realms things would start changing.:greedy:

edit to add, you can setup paypal for this site itself and mojang cant say a damn thing.
    ElleLightbulb likes this.
  6. VariousFelonies

VariousFelonies Active Member

._.

dammitall. My job's seasonal, and while I'm looking to fill the 'tween-season gap, gas and family's going to end up coming first.
    KyleraRhea likes this.
  7. rocky_jungle

rocky_jungle Active Member

Wait,

I think TNT should be taken off as a perk as that's restricting to white names...
    This seems interesting but its not fair to make people pay to play, but no ranks?
    That seems unfair, people pay to keep the server up, they get perks, simple.
    I don't think its fair about it...
  8. Kirays

Kirays Active Member

So that means that

a) all the ranks get disabled and you don't have any perks anymore for supporting the server?
    b) you have to pay an amount of money every month to continue playing? :(

That would be horrible. One thing are the ranks, but the other thing is that you have to donate every month. Not everyone can.
  9. Zadok24

Zadok24 Active Member

Its Mojang's game though. They have every right to restrict the money-making opportunities of the game. I agree that pay-to-play isn't exactly fair since most can't afford monthly payments to play on a single server. Mojang is just trying to even things out since players have already payed for the game.
  10. VariousFelonies

The problem with this is that they're forcing Open Servers LIKE Vanillaworld who rely on Donations and reward Donators, to charge a flat fee for EVERYONE who wants to play on the server to maintain server fees. It's not like our Supporter, VIP, or Store Purchases go into Thy's pocket and he's buying Snack Cakes with them, That money goes Directly into Keeping the Server operational. What Mojang's done is said "You can't reward people for helping to keep the server going"
  11. rocky_jungle

Well I can understand no capes, op things, and currency, but having to pay every month..
    Its not cool, a large amount of players are young/ or/ and/ cannot afford to pay every month...
  12. rocky_jungle

That's the irony, this is a nonprofit organisation purposely made for people to have fun
  13. Kirays

Kirays Active Member

There are tons of servers out there, you don't have to play in a pay4win server. As you have written already, most can't afford monthly payments. What is Mojang doing there :/
    rocky_jungle likes this.
  14. rocky_jungle

So, I have to pay to get new things and feed my snake, people like my will now be FORCED to pay for non profit server, I don't get it
    [​IMG]
  15. VariousFelonies

When it comes down to it, Thy is pretty much working Two jobs. His IRL one, and Maintaining the server. Donations make keeping the Server running possible, especially with how the Code's set up for /start. Mojang's treating this like Thy's making a Profit, which he's not, if anything he MIGHT be taking a hit monthly to make the difference between donations and Server fees.
    PrincessLala95 likes this.
  16. rocky_jungle

They can, its their product in the end
  17. rocky_jungle

I mean, whitelisted is good but won't work well, I mean, thy puts a lot of work into the server and supplies himself with his IRL job...
  18. Zadok24

Zadok24 Active Member

No, what they are saying is "You can't give special perks for some players but not others, even if they pay" They know that some players are not as well off as others and gameplay should be equal. Perhaps we'll just have to find a new way to produce revenue for the server. Ranks were a new idea when servers first started so there will just have to be a newer idea that can bypass these new rules.
  19. Like Zadok said, it's Mojang's game and they will do with it what they please. Is it fair? Not necessarily. Can we do anything about it? No. They want everyone to be on the same playing field at all times and some companies simply don't like it when people profit from their game by setting things up a certain way. I can see a lot of servers going down because people can't/won't want to pay monthly fees to play but we'll see how things play out I suppose. I was going to make a joke about how overjoyed I'm sure some of the Minecraft purists probably are by a pure Vanilla perkless server but ehhh seems in bad taste :p <3
    Zadok24 likes this.
  20. rocky_jungle

Then those owners have to fork out cash to keep it going.
    What I don't deem fair is how they get to control something they allowed to happen.
    Someone forward this thread to someone in mojang please,.
    People pay for perks to keep the server running and now because there are too many pay2win servers its ruining every other server and mc popularity in general, as people rather play multiplayer rather than single player .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.