Is the survival world like "No Man's Sky" or actual multi-player?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Repomeister, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Repomeister

Repomeister Member

I was just curious - I know we are given a start point hundreds of thousands of blocks from other players and we can get to other players when they accept our tp requests. But has anyone actually run into other players just by traveling from their world spawn location?

I started walking from my home - heading toward coordinates 0,0 just to see if I could eventually make it there and see what was there. I only made like 7,000 blocks or so before I died jumping off a mountain aiming for water below.

But it got me wondering if the world actually had other players in it lol One good thing that came out of it - just by traveling that diagonal, I got all my biomes but 8 - all I need now are the 3 jungle, the 3 mesa plus the 2 mega-taigas!
  2. Cool_Coder

Cool_Coder Active Member

It is multiplayer. You can access anywhere is the world from anywhere else.

However, you are not allowed to intentionally travel to someone else's area to steal. Plus, the server has anti-griefing, so mods can revert your area. So, no worries.
  3. Cool_Coder

Cool_Coder Active Member

Also, I have the biomes you need, if you would like to drop by sometime.
  4. One_EyeSabre

One_EyeSabre Active Member

Technically, one could walk towards another players area if the co-ords are known.

The issue is why would you do this. There are several very good reasons why VW is set-up the way it is. If you want to be involved with other players, then either ask or petition players you get along with to TP so you can be close to them without changing the area they are in. Granted, this may take awhile. On top of the fact that it takes a while ( a good long while), for people to trust you enough (especially for new players) to allow you to "stay" at a nearby place, relative to their place.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  5. Repomeister

Repomeister Member

Thanks for all the good info. I was actually just curious about the sheer size of a minecraft world and it made me think of No Man's Sky and my only purpose for this post was to get an answer to the question "Has anyone actually run into another player on Vanilla World simply by chance whilst out exploring".
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  6. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

Never on the survival world. A few times on PvP, however we had narrowed down a search area, so that doesn't count.
    Repomeister likes this.
  7. Repomeister

Repomeister Member

Thanks Ont - I keep hoping I'll see some sign of other humans during my travels. Every time I see cobblestone I think I have stumbled across evidence of human presence but it always turns out to be either a dungeon or lava/water cobble.

The purpose here isn't that I am desperately lonely, it is just sort of exciting knowing there are people and we are all sort of staggering around blind and there is always the chance of a meeting someone totally by accident.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  8. Jade Spectre

Jade Spectre Active Member

Several years ago when I was looking for one of the fortresses that had an End portal. In my travels going the several hundreds of thousands of blocks I didn't see anyone. Later when I was helping someone at their base that based on their coords I had passed within 600 blocks of their base during my journey.
  9. Repomeister

Repomeister Member

Whoa - that's a long way to travel! The farthest I have traveled from my base has been 11,000 blocks. And 600 blocks counts as a near miss.
  10. Asmeroas

Asmeroas Member

Theoretically it's possible free roaming. Just think of it this way though, we're all hundreds of thousands of blocks apart... pick a random direction and you'll not likely run into anyone, and even if you do it could be by a hair and not notice (like Jade Spectre mentioned).

Just know that not everyone likes uninvited visitors! I get the appeal of roaming, I love exploring too. But the last time we ever had someone at our coords without our permission, they robbed us. lol. I don't know if they had our coords prior somehow, or used a hack or something, but it makes you suspicious of everything and if I ever saw an unfamiliar name roaming about on our lands I'd probably panic and jump right to reporting to mods.

Not to mention, personally I'd be so worried about accidentally setting off creepers or something while near someones builds.

It would be cool to run into someone while just roaming though. Like, I don't want to come across their land, because I know how much it bothers me, but just like, in a mineshaft in the middle of nowhere and someone just runs past being chased by spiders? Absolutely!
  11. Repomeister

Repomeister Member

I appreciate the paranoia that is considered acceptable behavior here. Griefing is ugly - it is literally no better than running over and kicking a sandcastle a kid spent an hour to make all over the beach.

But, seriously, I was only asking if anyone had ever run into anyone else.

I do understand the statistical improbability of the event occurring (if it were anything *BUT* very unlikely this post wouldn't make much sense) and I never asked how to best find someones super-private base or anything like that. If I wanted other users all over the place I would use a server that had that sort of setup.
    Asmeroas likes this.
  12. Asmeroas

Asmeroas Member

Wasn't trying to berate you! Sorry if it came across that way. Just giving a heads up incase you decide to roam is all.
    Like I said, it would be kind of cool to run across someone in a mineshaft or roaming about in the wilderness.
    Repomeister likes this.
  13. Repomeister

Repomeister Member

It's all good :)