Minigames

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

As some of you may know, I have attempted to get a minigames server running for quite some time. I tried various plugins and ideas and nothing was working. Until now.

Thanks to Ont and Rw, we have a nicely designed hub to work with. It is being finished/touched up as we go, so don't mind the unfinished portions, we will get to that soon :p
    2016-10-25_14.02.41.png

Capture The Flag
    I am currently working on maps when I have time. I have created two maps so far. Below is the nether map. PvP is enabled and you will start with a diamond sword, a bow, arrows, and armor designated with your team color. Block breaking/placing is not permitted as that will interfere with the design of the maps and counteract various strategic designs. Unfortunately, the use of lava buckets needs to be restricted as well due to this. I will most likely allow them in the PvP arenas on the Survival server, once I rework those. So don't worry, you'll get to have that lava fun there.

On this nether map, however, you do start with a diamond sword enchanted with knockback and if you decide to take the path inside the fortress, you will find plenty of danger as a player can easily knock you into the pathways of lava contained inside. The goal, ultimately, is to capture the enemy team's flag, designated by a sign, and return it to your capture sign located at your start position.
    2016-10-25_13.55.35_2.png
    2016-11-10_11.16.21.png
    2016-11-10_11.27.45.png

Bridges

This minigame is a unique addition to VW. I have not searched much for different minigames, so if there is something like it, I am not aware of it at this time.

This game is going to be at minimum a 4 player game, 2 players per team. You start on an island with your teammate. One of you will need to stand on the marked spot, designated by a pressure plate. This will cause a bridge to be created to another area. The other player will cross this bridge and stand on the designated spot on the other side. This will keep the bridge activated so their teammate may cross as well. Once the spot is vacated, the bridge will vanish. Multiple bridges may appear leading to various places. You will need to decide where you want to go and plan accordingly. PvP will be enabled so, if you end up crossing paths with the other team, you will fight to either kill them or push them off the island resulting in their unfortunate death. In the event of death, you will be respawned at the last checkpoint you created. Checkpoints will be created when you stand on the pressure plate and create a bridge, except for the plate that creates the final bridge and your initial starting point. The goal will be to reach the end point before the other team.
    2016-11-10_11.16.35.png

Spleef
    I'm sure you all have heard of spleef and understand the workings of the game but, just in case. The concept is to break blocks below your opponents and ultimately make them fall to their deaths. Generally, this will be played on multiple layers.
    2016-11-10_11.16.53.png

TBD
    To Be Determined. We will be creating and introducing more games in the future so, if you see this sign somewhere, it is simply a placeholder for future additions.

I look forward to getting these implemented and hope you are all excited to see the new additions and what sorts of twisted games we can come up with. My intent is to try and add in as many unique games as we can think up. Why be just another cookie cutter minigame server? We didn't do survival that way, our PvP server isn't quite that way, our Minigames will not be either.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Toaster, rwsender and Ontvlambaar like this.
  2. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

Nice Thy, thanks for the update! In CTF, when you kill someone, they drop their armor. Is this on purpose? I can wear blue armor while being on the red team after killing someone from the blue team.
  3. Thyestefles

oh right, gotta fix that. armour is supposed to be locked.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  4. Thyestefles

That should be fixed now. Thought I had that set like that already.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  5. rwsender

rwsender Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mini-games spawn has been given a Halloween touch by myself and Ont tonight, hopefully we can add more detail in the coming days!
    Wuzzleflump and Thyestefles like this.
  6. winkyboy98

winkyboy98 Active Member

This is really cool! Its nice to see all of this positive change for vw. These most recent updates were much needed.
    Thyestefles likes this.
  7. Footrott_Flats

Footrott_Flats Active Member

neat and clean... not cluttered up with... bushes, grass, buildings, pools, and other junk. like it very much. Easy to navigate.
  8. rwsender

rwsender Well-Known Member

I've added some spawn areas for when you join the minigames, I'd add screenshots but I don't have my usual tool.
  9. Ontvlambaar

Currently doing some work around the minigames hub. Anyone is welcome to come check out the progress and provide some feedback as I build!
  10. Wuzzleflump

Wuzzleflump Active Member

I agree with Flats about this one looking easier to navigate. While I appreciate the hard work you guys put into the new spawn over at Survival I think something nice but simple like THIS would've worked better for it so newbies to the server would be able to spot the rules and etc... quicker.
  11. Wuzzleflump

Wuzzleflump Active Member

Also, I don't know why I quoted the Halloween one when I could have used the normal picture. Derp!
  12. Thyestefles

The first bridges map is now live and available to play. It requires 4 players and don't be fooled by the water, it will kill you :)
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  13. Thyestefles

Some new screenshots have been added. Including the new volcano CTF map, the first bridges map, and the spleef arena.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  14. Thyestefles

All of these are available to play. We are still working on things but, as they become available, they are added to the minigames hub.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  15. Ontvlambaar

Thrilled to check out the new volcano map. You guys should really play bridges, its a awesome minigame.
    Does anyone have suggestions for the minigames hub? I think we can improve the design, while we keep it simple