New PvP Section!

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Solidus, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Solidus

Solidus Rawr. Staff Member

Rawr, everyone!

It's been a long time coming, but VW now has its own area for PvP Survival! We've kept it as simple as possible; no factions, no flashy extra plugins, no gimmicky package deals for godly gear. Just good ol' fashioned standard Survival mayhem!

The PvP arena is accessible from the hub, or by typing /server pvp. Now, here's the details you should know before venturing out to the murderfest:

• When you get there, type /start to get randomly teleported into the Survival PvP world. This will NOT reset your progress in the NON-PVP world; it's completely separate.
    • When you /start, you'll land somewhere on the map which is approximately 1/100th the size of the regular Survival map. You may have a lot of distance between you and your fellow players, giving you time to build up, or you could be swinging swords at your neighbors in minutes.
    • Access to the /wild is FREE FOR ALL PLAYERS here--but at a cost. In the /wild, you'll be teleported in to the exact same spot as all other players that are visiting it! There's a safe zone there, but beyond that, it's a free-for-all.
    • Donator perks are NOT active here, except for the no fall/hunger damage perk. No setting waypoints in other players' bases, you sneaky, evil people.
    • Remember Lockette? Yeah, it doesn't exist here. Gotta protect your stuff some other way. Booby traps and burying come to mind. ;)
    All of the standard rules of Survival apply here, except that griefing is allowed, stealing is encouraged, and killing other players is highly recommended.

Don't cheat, have fun, and let us know if you encounter any bugs, problems, or have some recommendations!
  2. Wuzzleflump

Wuzzleflump Active Member

Can people be attacked at spawn?
  3. Solidus

Wuzzle and I tested it. Spawn's a safe zone. :p
  4. Toaster

Toaster Active Member

Was a little disappointed that spawn wasn't an open area to go charging into the wilderness from.
  5. Solidus

I've seen setups like that before, but it gets boring because high-level people with godly gear just camp it to get all their kills and destroy the experience for new players, who don't even bother trying.

But to be fair, that IS what the /wild is like. Since everyone spawns at the central hub, it can be a pretty dangerous place to visit.

I think, however, we're going to minimize the playing field a little so that the chance of running into other players is increased. :)
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    TheDamonky likes this.
  6. Toaster

Toaster Active Member

Minimizing the playing field would be good, I'm nearly 100k out from spawn and that's just a little too much imo. 100k should be the border, not the midground, if it is that.
  7. Solidus

Aye, already requested to have it set to about 30k instead. Thanks for the feedback, you defective piece of hardware. :)
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  8. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

If I change it, I will have to erase any homes that are set outside the boundaries.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  9. Toaster

Toaster Active Member

[​IMG]
  10. Toaster

Toaster Active Member

Congratulations Coemt for slaying the Ender Dragon and seizing the first Dragon Egg! Now you just need to hide it. ;)
    Wuzzleflump likes this.
  11. Wuzzleflump

Wuzzleflump Active Member

At the moment the wild DOES turn into night and there ARE monsters. Also in the End it won't let you kill each other via hitting but that won't stop me from hiding lava pits. MUHAHAHA!
  12. Thyestefles

PvP is now working in the end. The wild will also keep the daylight cycle and mob spawning. That area is simply so that people can have a common battleground to go to. Creates a bit more of a mix when it comes to finding people to PvP.
    Ontvlambaar and Wuzzleflump like this.
  13. Thyestefles

The world size has also been decreased to make it a bit easier to find people. It is now 60k by 60k, still plenty of room to be spread out but, it should allow for a lot of players and some PvP action. We'll decrease it more if needed. Coordinates go from -30k to 30k for 60k total.
    Toaster likes this.
  14. Thyestefles

If your home coordinates are currently outside of this area, submit a ticket and we can help move your things into the smaller area. You can also do /start again if you don't mind starting over.
  15. Footrott_Flats

Footrott_Flats Active Member

so its not a pvp server but a griefer server. to bad.. was looking forward to some fun pvp but with griefing and stealing allowed.... whats the point of building when some asshole will destroy it or steal it.. oh well...
  16. Thyestefles

That's part of a PvP server generally. No worries though, I intend on reworking the PvP arenas in survival as well. So we'll still have plain old PvP action available too.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  17. Solidus

Aye, the challenge of PvP is gathering, protecting, and hiding your base and your resources. It's a bit different from Survival, where you gather up resources to proudly display what you have. This is a savage, violent, scavenger's world. Now--that's not to say you can't build up elaborate structures that all can see here; you just have to put more thought into how to protect them from not only mobs, but players now, as well. :p

Case in point... Ground bases are generally the easiest structures to infiltrate. The open air above them makes it easy to Ender Pearl on top, and break through from there. Underground bases are harder to spot, so the lower the better, but you won't get to show off your fancy looking structure if you're surrounded by dirt and stone and out of the public eye. Sky bases have their benefits and offer significantly more protection, especially since you can give them a "roof" that people can't pillar up high enough to Ender Pearl over. Not going into the details of how to make it, though. ;) And of course, there are underwater bases, which are difficult to construct, but are also generally well-hidden since not a lot of folks want to go through the effort of scouring the vast oceans just to try to find something unusual on the floors. But breaking into one is a slow, arduous process if not prepared with the right gear.

That's what I love about PvP with griefing and stealing enabled; you have to consider so many more factors. Fortune favors the resourceful, the cunning, not just the most skilled with a sword. If you lose your stuff, it happens, but it just makes you want to come back with a better tactic. (And having multiple bases doesn't hurt, so even if you lose one, you aren't completely screwed. XD)
    One_EyeSabre likes this.
  18. winkyboy98

winkyboy98 Active Member

Just want to confirm, greifing and stealing are ok in PVP?
  19. Thyestefles

20. winkyboy98

winkyboy98 Active Member

Cool, I love this. I always wished for PVP section on VW.
    Solidus likes this.