PvP Arena building

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

Most of you may have heard that I have been working on making PvP arenas to include in the survival server. I finally finished the majority of the actual building for them and have a prototype design set up. All that is required now is to finish up a few permissions and get some actual arenas for people to play in.

I have decided to allow players to create the arenas themselves and possibly have them used in the server. If you want a shot at having something you build used for the community, now is your chance.
    There is a link below to a schematic file which is the basic build for the arenas. You can download that and use something like MCEdit or WE, if you have it, to design an arena.

The design must stay within the confines of the walls/ceiling and the glass tubes coming from the ceiling must remain in place, that is where players will be dropping into the arena. If you include buildings, it would be best if they were left without ceilings as the glass roof you see is an observation deck where you can watch people PvPing. I will be including 4 overworld arenas and 4 nether arenas, for a total of 8. You can edit the floor to match with your design whether it be overworld or nether, just leave the glass ceiling and preferably the walls.

Also, due to WE still not handling NBT tags, custom blocks, such as signs with text, custom skulls, etc...wont copy over. I can recreate them if I open it in MCEdit and put them in manually but, it would be best to avoid those sorts of things, if possible.

After you have edited the file below, you can simply put it into a .zip file and send it to me in a message on the forums. I will take a look at the entries when I get a chance and get the arenas up and running for testing, hopefully within the next couple weeks or so.

Attached Files:

Zerr_ likes this.
  2. Thyestefles

Also try to leave the drop areas somewhat clear as it would be best if players can move about quickly without being cornered as soon as they drop in.
  3. Vigge

Vigge Active Member

Finally! I've been waiting for this a VERY long time!
    finally i can bring back my old spleef arena :D:D:D:D:D
    Old memories...
    *flashback
    *comes back
  4. polsaniusVI

polsaniusVI Well-Known Member

Just curious, what should the map look like when we open it? It's it on a flat world and will the structures you've built be visible right from the start?
  5. Thyestefles

It's only a schematic of the building so it wont load any kind of map. It will just load the building into open space.
  6. polsaniusVI

polsaniusVI Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, well I've tried everything and it doesn't work for me. Not sure where I'm supposed to put the file if that's the case. I thought it was supposed to be a world so I replaced my world folder with that, obviously that didn't work. Could you elaborate on where the file should be placed under for it to properly load?
  7. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

So we basically have to upload a schematic? May it have a surrounding area or does it have to be the exact measurements of the arena?
    Oh, and mine is almost done! :)

Worked for me.

If you use MCEDIT:
    Download the PvParena.zip to your desktop, unzip it there.
    Then, in MCEdit, open a new world, copy the arena into the world with 'import'(the icon with the yellow crane).
    Save the world, drag it to the saves folder your MC directory.
    I can eventually upload a world for everyone to download, though that will copy the surrounding area, of which I am not sure everyone wants that.
  8. Thyestefles

All you have to do is take the file out of the .zip, place it on your desktop for ease. You can simply use the open button in MCEdit and select the schematic, it will put it in a blank world by itself.

The arenas are connected to a hub and have rails that lead to the drops, all controlled by redstone to make it a random drop location. What you build needs to remain within the confines for that reason. It would be easier if you created a schematic, using the glowstone corners as boundaries, however, I can do that quite easily myself, if needed.

Just make sure to build within the area of the schematic, as I described in the original post.
  9. Thyestefles

I may include something of a "showcase" arena, that would be seperate from the ones connected to the hub, however, for now I am just looking to get the basic arenas put in.
  10. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

I will need some testing done on my arena. Might set up a quick server for some friends to PvP in. The arena itself is done, will PM it to you tonight! ;)
  11. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

Would you have to use like /warp pvp or /warp arena to get to it?

Or perhaps each arena would have a different warp, for example, /warp arena 1-8. And signs in /spawn with the corresponding labels, for example, "/warp arena 1: Underwater-themed arena".

I also think that it would be better to have fall and hunger damage on in the arenas, just to make it more fun.

My likely arsenal:

3 Potions of Healing II
    3 Splash Potions of Damage II
    1 Potion of Strength II
    1 8-Minute Potion of Speed
    16 Ender Pearls
    64 Steak
    Mr. Swordy
    Flame 1, Infinity, Unbreaking 3, and Power 4 Bow
    OP Armor
  12. Thyestefles

You will warp to a hub and have access to the arenas directly, from there.
  13. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

Okay.

With the PvP stuff, will it be like we get the other player's dropped inventory, or will KeepInventory be on in there and we set up a system, eg. both people put in 5 emeralds and then the winner gets all 10?

Also, can someone put up a screenshot of the arena template?
  14. Thyestefles

KI will be on in some and off in others, with a combination of mobs also being on in some and off in others.

It would be best to use the schematic file that I uploaded since there are glass drop tubes where players enter the arena. I am doing this without having to implement new code so, the design relies on redstone and rails to prevent cheating.

You could use MCEdit but, the best option really would be to download and install WorldEdit for single player and use that. I never could bring myself to like MCEdit, the way it shows everything, and the movement controls, are just not right to me. WorldEdit allows you to do it all in-game which is a lot easier.

You can get WorldEdit here http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldEdit it requires forge for single player now.
  15. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

With the screenshot, I just meant to see what it looks like.

Also, when is it expected to be up?
  16. Thyestefles

That depends entirely on when I get some arenas put in and the settings put into place for it. Should have something within a week or two to get us started.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  17. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

Not to pester, but it's been like three weeks and I haven't heard about any progress. About where along the line of progress is this?
  18. Thyestefles

Still the same as the last post, I had some critical changes to make to the code and have gotten caught up in fixing other little things as well, on top of working an extra 10+ hours/week now at my dayjob. I'll get to it before too long :p
  19. Sonic_Th_Mighty

Sonic_Th_Mighty Active Member

I can't wait till it's up and running, kinda missing that HG feeling on vanilla
    Take you time Thy, and take it step by step C:
  20. Vigge

Vigge Active Member

i was thinking of making the walls game by hypixel :/
    'th_sonic_god likes this.