Server Downtime

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

UPDATE: We are back up, everything should be just as you left it.

As all of you are probably aware, we had some issues with a persistent DDoS attack recently. That issue was resolved, however, we kept on seeing problems with connectivity. I spent some time poking around and collecting information before contacting the host. We were unable to authenticate with the Mojang servers due to port 443 being mysteriously blocked, port 80 also seemed to have trouble when trying to update files. There was no change to our IP traffic, meaning there was not a sudden surge in attacks causing the loss of connection. The host and I determined that the cause of the problem was most likely a RAT (Remote Administration Toolkit) trojan, which was probably planted when the attacks were hitting the server. It has been taking some time, and will take a little more, to get the problem fixed. The best solution in this case is to reinstall the OS. I downloaded the files for the server, roughly 170GB, we are currently getting the OS reinstalled.

I could not take the chance of the person(s) responsible seeing a post on the forums explaining what was going on and interrupting it. Depending on the particular RAT used, they could have potentially blocked the download and caused even more problems.

I will be thoroughly scanning all the files before starting the upload, once the new OS is installed and setup. I will also be adding extra security to the server. After all of this, we should finally be able to get back to normal and work on more enjoyable things. It will probably take the majority of the weekend to get the files uploaded, 170GB on a home internet connection takes a while to upload.
  2. darkmajik20

darkmajik20 Member

Thank Gosh! The server is being fixed! So, I didn't really understand any of that, but I was wondering, will the server be the same afterwards? As in, will all our stuff be there? I know, I am a newb, but I was just wondering.
  3. Thyestefles

Yea, that's the point to downloading and scanning the files. If I didn't save everyone's things, it would be up a lot quicker but, that kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me :p
    MobDestroyerRW likes this.
  4. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

You are fantastic!
  5. rejas

rejas Active Member

hurray :3
  6. Partago

Partago Active Member

Yay! Do you know who planted the trojan? Or was it installed by accident?

(Also, how fast is your Internet connection? That way I know how long it will take :3)
  7. Thyestefles

It was planted by the people attacking the server, new protections will be put in place.

My internet is a whole whopping 1Mbps for uploading, kind of typical for residential service.
  8. Partago

Partago Active Member

Hmmm... 1Mbps, as in megabit? That would mean 16 days of non-stop uploading 170 gigabytes of data if I'm correct...

9. Thyestefles

I'm only going to upload the hub, survival, and bungeecord to start with. That way we can get survival up and running at the least. If I have to just install bungeecord and get something setup as a temp solution while the rest transfers, then I'll do that. Either way, I'll have something working before too long.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  10. ChaiChai

ChaiChai Member

11. Partago

Partago Active Member

Bazinga!
  12. BudderBacca247

BudderBacca247 Active Member

13. Thyestefles

It's working, slowly. So far I haven't lost connection a single time so, at the moment, we are good. I've installed some protection and am currently waiting on the upload and trying to configure some things on the server. I might get a temporary server setup while the process continues, it's taking a good bit of time to just upload survival.
  14. Partago

Partago Active Member

That is good news indeed! Is there a chance you can get off-line access to the server? This way you may connect a hard-drive to transfer the data faster.
  15. Thyestefles

I wish I could, lol. Having physical access would make things so much nicer. It's in a datacenter over in NY though.
  16. Partago

Partago Active Member

Ow, yeah. In that case, uploading would probably be faster (and above all, convenient). I will wait patiently :). Keep up the good work, we all love you for the effort you put into this server!;)
  17. Thyestefles

A temporary creative server is running now and can be connected to just like connecting to VW.

PvP is disabled but, otherwise, just build and have fun. Our main plugins are not installed.

Nothing will be saved from this world, it is just something to do until the file transfers complete.
  18. Thyestefles

We should be back up and running fully in a couple days or so.
    UltimateSnoop likes this.
  19. ChaiChai

ChaiChai Member

20. BryceLovesGaming

BryceLovesGaming New Member

Please tell me what the server is like right now is not permanent... I logged on to just a bunch of greifing, and lava.
    I'm just hoping the medieval village I was building is safe...