Server Migration

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

We will be performing a migration to a new server at some point today or tomorrow. Downtime should hopefully only be a few hours as we are moving to a different server in the same datacenter so they will be able to transfer the files over their in house network rather than me downloading and uploading them.

This move will save us a little money allowing me to ensure VW can continue to operate. We will possibly see some performance increase with this server as well so, all in all, it will be a good move.

I just placed the order for the new server, it may take 24 hours or so for them to set it up but, I will update this thread with info. I will be trying to get this done as soon as possible as it is much easier for me to deal with any issues that come up during the weekend.
  2. Wait, I haven't been paying attention much, but what happened?
  3. Thyestefles

With the donation tier system, our savings dwindled and the server isn't sustaining itself. We have to move to a cheaper server in order to stay up, as long as mojang doesn't decide to force us back to the tiers, we should be fine
  4. Thyestefles

Our player base dropped in size quite a bit with the tiers which is why we are trying to make changes and get things running better
  5. Rainbo

Rainbo Member

Thy, with the new server migration, will we be able to see the server update faster to newer Minecraft game play updates? I am speaking of course about 1.9, which is slated to be released today. Obviously it will take some time to upgrade the server but do you have an estimated time frame for when VW can be updated to 1.9?
  6. Giga419

Giga419 Member

Hey guys,

Did this end up happening? When I try to log on it says outdated server?
  7. Thyestefles

We haven't upgraded to 1.9 yet
  8. Cool_Coder

Cool_Coder Active Member

Just wondering, how will a cheaper server be faster?
  9. rwsender

rwsender Well-Known Member

Sometimes certain CPU's are not great for hosting minecraft servers. Spigot uses a single core. So if I have a 4GHZ processor with 8 cores thats 0.5GHZ each. Whereas i may have a 3.2GHZ with 4 cores which is 0.8GHZ.

RAM isn't everything when it comes to minecraft servers. a good solid processor is needed too.

Also some people are just simply ripping you off, I know very expensive host providers who provide the exact same things as the dirt cheap ones. You just gotta know where to look, I guess thy looked and thats how we got a cheaper server :p