Shop update/New server ideas

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

I have been looking into making some additions to the server lately. The PvP arenas are about ready to be opened up for testing. Shopkeepers are back.

I recently added particle effects to the shop page and am currently looking into possibly adding other cosmetic items such as hats and/or pets. Nothing that will affect gameplay but, might be fun to have while helping ensure we keep the server running.

I have also been noticing that survival alone doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was. I had hoped to custom code new content, however, that takes a good deal of time/concentration which I never seem to have enough of these days. I have been looking around at different plugins and modpacks to add into a new server/portal.

I am open to suggestions while I browse what is available. The new server will not be vanilla so just about anything goes. I will have to do some testing and possibly some recoding to make sure our code works with any new plugins/mods. Basic things, such as /home, will have to work the same as it does on Survival.

Let's see what kinds of new content we can throw together to create a new server which will offer a refreshing break from Survival while still being a part of the VW network. I may even add multiple new servers as we have the resources for it.
  2. Xeriana

Xeriana Moderator Staff Member

Xeri's heard people saying stuff about MCMMO. Xeri tried it once, and it was fun, but felt like to became too competitive to quickly, so.... not really Xeri's thing. But it was fun.

Would we have to change the server's name to something other than Vanilla World if we do this, though?
  3. Thyestefles

I don't see any need for changing the name. Just look at the "vanilla" servers on PMC, there are plenty that aren't even semi-vanilla and have a lot of different plugins affecting gameplay.

If we go about expanding our little network to include a bunch of stuff, we might want to consider changing our name/logo. Might be a good way to attract new players as well, reinvent ourselves a little while keeping our beginnings intact.
  4. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

Glad you're asking. I'd like to suggest the following things:

- Player heads -they're just too fun to leave out.
    - A creative server. Gosh I need that so bad.
    - Adapted survival, survive in a zombie apocalypse. Lootcrates, no rights to destroy blocks.
    - Questing? Have a world with a storyline and let players take the rewards back to survival?
    - Custom worldgen islands in skyblocks and special trades on the skyblocks server.
    - A minigames server
    One_EyeSabre likes this.
  5. Thyestefles

Yea, main things I've been considering are minigames and RPG/economy/factions.

Some sort of adventure maps with rewards would be kind of cool too, might be a good addition to the /warps at spawn.
  6. Thyestefles

Creative servers tend to get crashed but, that could be fixed by limiting things like TnT. Not disabling, just limiting things that could cause problems.
  7. Ontvlambaar

You just vanished but the particles are still visible. Might want to look into that - if the mods ever stalk someone with particles they could easily be noticed. ;)
  8. Thyestefles

Yea, that could be interesting, lol
  9. rejas

rejas Active Member

i am very interested in getting new things as well. the pvp arenas is something ill look into aswell.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  10. Sonic_Th_Mighty

Sonic_Th_Mighty Active Member

PvP arena's are gonna be so AWESOME, also i am up for Testing PvP Arena's
  11. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

I love this idea. I think it would attract more players, as well as make the server more fun.

Suggestions:

Have two survival servers--one named "Vanilla Survival" and the other "Modded Survival". The former would be the same as it is ATM, with the second with all of the above ideas.

For one, I think that the pets would be a great idea. But, you can have a pig pet whenever you want in vanilla. You know what would be really cool? Modded pets. Not, like, from an actual mod, but maybe make like a Flame Wolf--it's a wolf that has more heath than a normal wolf and carries a flame sword, as well as having a fire/smoke particle effect. This can actually be done with command blocks.

Modded dimensions would be cool too. I don't like randomly encountering strange creatures in the Overworld, like some servers do for extra bosses. Instead, why not have maybe two or three extra dimensions? They would either be outright places where modded bosses spawn, like the End, or maybe where you have to search for structures that the mobs spawn in, like Nether Fortresses.

And, why not offer a currency system? Maybe like what -another, very popular Minecraft minigame server- does: we have a special currency system that we use to buy cosmetic stuff. We can either get it by, say, defeating a boss (voting?), or, something that would bring a lot of money for the server: We can buy it, with real money. We can spend it on the modded pets, or weird little things to use for fun, pranks (Troll TNT: it explodes, but doesn't damage anything), etc.

And, final suggestion: /warp town and/or /warp fun. The former would be a Community Area-type thing, and the latter a place where we could play games and such for the in-game cosmetic currency (yes, I know that /warp fun was once a thing).

Sorry for all the ideas,

-Zerr_
  12. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

And, there's a certain amount of setting up for certain things with mod-mods, so preferably one without a clientside download. :)
  13. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

And, though maybe we wouldn't need to change Vanilla World's name, a change would work to suit the new server. Naming/logo contest? (A picture of diamond ore isn't exactly exciting.)
  14. Ontvlambaar

Good points. I however do not think that we should be using command blocks. In my experience command blocks cause a lot of serverlag, which eventually makes the server unplayable for those who do not have a beefy internet connection or computer.
  15. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

I know. I just meant that something like that could be spawned via command block, but working up a plugin to spawn one could be done. :)
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  16. Wuzzleflump

Wuzzleflump Active Member

"Vanilla World is a unique kind of server. What makes it so special is that griefing does not occur yet the experience is 100% vanilla. This is because every player gets teleported to a different part of the map, hundreds of thousands of blocks away from anyone else. This makes griefing incidents very unlikely! We are not technically vanilla but we believe in order for every player to enjoy the same vanilla experience certain plugins are required. This is truly a one of a kind server because we write most the our plugins ourselves. "

I'm cool with keeping 'Vanilla World' as the name but you might want to edit the server's description on Planet Minecraft then. ;)
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  17. Thyestefles

Definitely wont be using command blocks, I always leave those disabled since they tend to have bugs whenever an update happens. It's also generally easier to just write code in java than use command blocks.
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  18. Ontvlambaar

A community server that puts everyone together in one area and have a dynmap rendering the world on the website?
    _RiNO_ likes this.
  19. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

That would be really cool, too, but maybe make that the spawn area/a warp, so people could have their own areas.
  20. Zerr_

Zerr_ Member

A town server, where people start their own mini-communities and customise them in build, difficulty, size, etc?