Spawners no longer alterable

Discussion in 'Server News & Announcements' started by Thyestefles, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Thyestefles

Thyestefles Admin Staff Member

It came to my attention while looking into the "bug" that has been reported numerous times, that changing a spawner using a mob egg is restricted to OP/creative users by default.

This makes sense since changing a spawner is completely unvanilla. Had I been around more when the "issue" first started happening, or if my "admin" was worth anything, it would have been investigated and corrected at that time.

Spawners are not meant to be changed in vanilla gameplay so, that "feature" that Soli was allowing, is no longer available.
    Trebax likes this.
  2. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

Darn, shouldve changed the Community Area spawners earlier, hehe.
    Back to the old-fashioned breeder!
  3. Cool_Coder

Cool_Coder Active Member

Well, at least we have a mooshroom spawner!

On the other hand, what are spawn eggs useful for other than changing spawners?
    Footrott_Flats likes this.
  4. Footrott_Flats

Footrott_Flats Active Member

OH I know!!!!! Spawning something?
    Did I get it right? I know I did... and ... you know I did too!!

I win!
    Cool_Coder and Ontvlambaar like this.
  5. winkyboy98

winkyboy98 Active Member

By the way, where is Soli the fox? I have not seen him around on forums for quite awhile.
  6. Footrott_Flats

Footrott_Flats Active Member

Hes been.. BANNED.
    Long story but Thy and him had an outing so Solidus is gone.
  7. winkyboy98

winkyboy98 Active Member

:(:(:(:( Is there ever a chance of the Fox being able to return?
  8. Sammie_gaga

Sammie_gaga Active Member

I never knew that wasn't allowed, I thought that was what spawn eggs were for on here, because spawning one animal, when you could lead them from wherever. Maybe you could rethink it and let it be allowed? Because lets me real Thy as Vanilla as the server is, we can tp and /home and warps when they're open. Because I'd say it definitely the reason people buy the spawn eggs online. I mean I always thought that was the reason. Either way that's just my thoughts.
    Cool_Coder and Wuzzleflump like this.
  9. Wuzzleflump

Wuzzleflump Active Member

A bummer, I had at least one more cave spider spawner to change. I hate those things. :p

Edit: Unless I am wrong, and chances are I am, you can change the spawners in Survival Mode but acquiring the egg is the issue. The only unvanilla part about all of this is the spawn eggs themselves.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Ontvlambaar likes this.
  10. Thyestefles

We'll see, I'm open to changing my mind in the future :)

The spawn eggs were originally sold long before spawners could be changed. The idea being that not everyone had areas that they could really get all the different mobs. For example, my original home was literally on a tiny little island in the middle of the ocea. I built the island out by hand, and it became quite large but, getting animals and transporting them, still would have been a big issue.
    Trebax, Cool_Coder and Ontvlambaar like this.
  11. Wuzzleflump

Wuzzleflump Active Member

I wasn't trying to debunk anything. Mainly it was just a rambling since I am bummed out about not being able to change the spawners now . With that said I still respect your decision on it. :p
    Cool_Coder and Asmeroas like this.
  12. Ontvlambaar

Ontvlambaar Pizza addict Staff Member

He wasnt replying to you, wuzzy:shy:
    Cool_Coder and Thyestefles like this.
  13. Thyestefles

Yea, that wasn't a reply to you, as Ont said :)

I figured some people would be irritated and/or bummed about it. But think about VW, has it really seemed like a positive influence that players could change spawners? Yes, I'm sure on a personal level, it was nice. Thinking of the server as a whole though, and the idea of trying to have a mostly vanilla gameplay experience, I don't really see it as a good thing to have.
    Cool_Coder and Trebax like this.
  14. Loyjanna

Loyjanna Active Member

I actually disagree with this.. I found that if i used two eggs (v 1.11) the change would 'stick'. This is also how we obtained assistance from other mods if an admin was not available. they would just spam the cage with eggs till it stuck.

I did a trial in single player(v 1.12).. gave myself some eggs using creative, switched to survival mode and was still able to change the spawn cage to the new mob.

Even in single player, when I am in survival mode, there is nothing added for OP nature, no modpacks or anything, so unless there is some residual OP from briefly having creative (to grab the egg) then I believe change the cage still works.
  15. FakeFrost

FakeFrost Member

The thing is if you can go to gamemode 1(creative) you already have OP. And in singleplayer it automatically gives you OP.